I did lots of DIY projects for our wedding, but the one I'm talking about today was one of my favorites! I wanted candles as part of our table decorations, but I ran into a few issues. Our venue was a historic barn, so we weren't allowed to have actual candles. No problem, I thought. I'll use flameless ones! They make some realistic looking ones now, right?
Turns out those realistic looking flameless candles are pretty expensive! So instead of ordering them, I started brainstorming. How could I dress up the cheap flameless candles that were actually within my budget? Make my own votive holders for them, of course.
I didn't take many pictures while I was making these, because I was in full-on DIY bride and was only focused on getting them done! I actually knocked all 72 votive holders out in one evening, so this project wasn't too difficult. I did suffer from burned thumbs from the hot glue gun, but hey, that's the price of DIY, right?
Here are the materials I used:
- 72 Clear Votive Holders - Amazon, $35.99
- 72 Flameless LED Tealight Candles - Amazon, $34.90
- Burlap/Lace ribbon - Hobby Lobby, purchased on sale $5 for two rolls
- Various fabric & paper flowers - Hobby Lobby, purchased on sale $20 for all
- Hot glue gun - already owned
- Scissors - already owned
I started by estimating how much ribbon was needed to go around the votive. I didn't want too much overlap, but I later ran into the opposite issue of not having enough for the ribbon to hold. When I finally found the perfect length, I cut off maybe 5 at a time. (I found if I cut off more, my length would start to vary too much.)
When the glue gun was ready, I wrapped the ribbon around the votive and placed a pretty thick line of glue on one end of the ribbon, then placed the other end on top, holding it as tight as I could without burning myself. Some of the seams looked really great, so I left those flowerless. But the majority of the votive seams weren't perfect, so I added a drop of hot glue (small amount for paper flowers, more for fabric ones) at the seam and carefully placed a flower in the center. I let them dry on their side, then turned them upright and placed a flameless candle inside.
And that's pretty much it! I did find that a few of the ribbons didn't hold quite as tight as I liked. I simply pulled the ribbon back up where I wanted it and placed a little hot glue along the bottom of the ribbon to hold it in place. And then they were all ready to go!
They turned out quite well, if I do say so myself.
This post contains affiliate links. If you're interested in something, please click through and help support Mrs Robbins Sparkles!
All photos except the second one were taken by Blue Elephant Photography.