In my early days of blogging, back when I was a 24 year old just out of college and working in my first official grown-up job, I created a 30 Before Thirty list. That list held many of the dreams I had for the next six years of my life. I wanted to go to Ireland and India, publish a novel and see my name in a national magazine. I wanted to hike the Grand Canyon and white water raft in Colorado. I wanted to snowboard in the Rockies and have breakfast at Tiffany’s. I wanted to do all the things before I turned thirty.
And don’t get me wrong. I would still love to do all those things. But they didn’t happen in the last five years, and I know they won’t happen in the next 10 months. So I’m moving those lofty goals to my 40 Before Forty list and subbing in some more realistic ones.
When I removed those fun but unrealistic goals I was left with about a dozen spots open. I had a few ideas on what I wanted to replace them with, but I took to the internet to find more. That’s when I realized that I may not reach all the goals I initially made, but I did a darn good job of making the most of my twenties. I’ve already traveled to Europe (Paris, London, & Normandy in 2009 with my family, Italy, Greece, & a smidge of Turkey with my sister in 2006), the Caribbean (cruise for a friend’s wedding in 2010), and Brazil (mission trip 2011). I've read hundreds of books, been a maid of honor three times, swam with dolphins and sting rays, and sang karaoke. I've fallen in love and gotten married, graduated college, and had a couple different careers. I've had an amazing decade so far.
It’s been a good run. But I have 10 months left in my 20’s. So now let me share my official 30 Before Thirty list. Some items have already been completed, some are on the calendar, and some are still going to be a stretch to accomplish! But I’m going to do my darnedest to get them done in the next 10 months.
- Finish a half-marathon - Done! May 2011
- Buy a new car – Done! November 2013
- Find an organization to commit to volunteering with – Done! I’m now a CASA volunteer
- Get married – Done! April 2014
- Go parasailing – Done! Key West, May 2014
- Sunbathe in California - Done! San Diego, May 2011
- Visit the White House - Done! October 2012, toured it in January 2015
- Go camping - Done! September 2012
- See a Broadway musical. – Done! Ok, I didn't actually see a musical on Broadway. But I saw Gigi do its pre-Broadway debut in Washington DC and I’ve seen the Lion King in the West End of London, which is England’s Broadway. And I actually saw Broadway in person. So I’m considering this one accomplished.
- Read all novels by Jane Austen
- Buy a house
- See Britney Spears perform – Done! May 2015
- Dance in the rain
- Waterski (or board) for longer than 5 seconds
- See the Statue of Liberty - Done! March 2015 from Battery Park
- Throw a dinner party
- Take a road trip - Done! August 2015
- Find an exercise routine I can stick with - Sort of. Started yoga regularly before getting pregnant
- STOP BITING MY NAILS
- Learn to use Photoshop
- Gamble in Vegas - Done! May 2015
- Get my concealed handgun license
- Create and maintain a capsule wardrobe - Done!
- Refurbish the vintage rocking chair that’s been sitting in the living room for months - Almost done - still needs to be reupholstered
- Take a photography class - Took an online course from A Beautiful Mess
- Take a cooking class
- Have breakfast at Tiffany's - Done! March 2015 I ate a bagel and drank a Dr Pepper in front of Tiffanys.
- Be rejected 100 times*
- Make money blogging (even if that is just making enough to cover my expenses)
- Compete in the Warrior Dash (or other crazy race)
So, what do you think? Want to place a bet on whether or not I actually get them all marked off? And any advice on any of these?
*I’ll be sharing more about this one soon. Stay tuned!