I'd always been adamant about not getting an e-reader. I like my books hardbound and heavy, thank you very much. But as the years have passed, I've watched most of my friends jump aboard the e-reader train. They raved about the convenience factor - the ability to carry hundreds of books with you at once is pretty incredible. I mean, it's almost like having an Undetectable Extension charm for your personal library, right?
But a Kindle is about more than the convenience factor; there are also Kindle Daily Deals. Incredible books on sale for less than a cup of coffee! I found myself snatching some of those deals up, even before I owned a Kindle.
I tried to get by with the Kindle app on my iPhone, but it is rather difficult to really relax and read on the iPhone. There are too many other things going on - Candy Crush levels to be beat, Facebook notifications coming in, emails to check. I couldn't stay focused. So I finally broke down and got a Kindle Paperwhite. (I actually got the exact same version that's shown below.)
I went with the Paperwhite because it is exclusively for reading. The Kindle Fire does a lot more (games, web, movies, etc) and I could see if you had kids it may be a better option. But for me, I wanted something that was a plain and simple e-reader. I didn't want to be able to check my email or play games. I just wanted to read.
Since buying my Paperwhite I've built up quite a collection of books. I love all the daily deals Amazon offers, but there are also always sales going on. If you don't want to have to look yourself, follow Modern Mrs Darcy on social media - she is always sharing her finds! It is definitely nice to have so many books at my fingertips, but I gotta say, it isn't quite the same as reading a physical book. It's easy to highlight and bookmark in the Kindle, but it is much less satisfying!
That being said, I still think you should you consider buying a Kindle.
Here are 5 reasons why:
- Kindle Deals are awesome. I've bought some brand new bestsellers (Girl on the Train, Not That Kind of Girl) for less than $5
- Convenience can't be matched. Instead of hauling a hardback book around with me, I can keep my little Kindle in my purse and pull it out on my lunch break.
- It's easy on the eyes. Literally. You can adjust the brightness of the screen, making it easy to read in the dark without bothering anyone.
- Long battery life. I can go weeks without charging my Kindle, unlike my iPhone which seems to constantly need to be plugged in.
- You'll read more. Really, you will. When you have that handy little library around you, you'll find yourself reading it at times you otherwise might have done something else.
I've had my Kindle over a year now and I still love it. No, the Kindle will never fully replace physical books for me. I will always have bookcases filled with the works of Dickens, Austen, and Rowling. But the Kindle is a wonderful supplement to my book collection! (And just a heads up if you do wanna buy one: head over to Amazon right now because all versions are on sale.)
No, this post isn't sponsored. I just really love my Kindle. However, it does contain affiliate links. If you're interested in something, please click through and help support Mrs Robbins Sparkles!